Sunday, November 22, 2009

The NOT SO BAD List

We had a very busy weekend, so I am definitely ready for a 4-day Thanksgiving break. We went from a birthday party to visiting friends and family, and I even bought a new car somewhere in the mix. It was an exciting weekend.

I'd like to think I have always been a "half full" sort person. There has to be some sort of good in every situation... even at rock bottom. Today at my sister-in-law's house I tried to come up with things are not terrible because of this situation. I promised myself I wouldn't focus on anything negative, so I want to preface my list with the fact if i could change any of this, I would... but I obviously can't, so I might as well try to find some good along the way. If something made my "list" then it is safe to say that Bill thought the opposite.

* Decisions are easier when making them alone. I don't have to consult anyone (or hear another person's advice/complaint) on how to discipline, how to do laundry, or where to hang a new picture.

* I don't have to keep a new pair of shoes in my trunk and wait to sneak them in. Although, I still kind of do this, so I guess I am just keeping my skills polished.

* I actually like having the bed to myself (when Tyler is not trying to climb in). I know this seems odd, but it's the truth.

* I don't have to worry about someone else using the ATM card and not telling me about the withdraw... then worry that there will be enough to cover everything and do the mad dash to get online and transfer money.

* I now understand the true meaning of "stress"... I was mistaken when I said that finishing report cards was stressful. Not... even... close...

* I am allowed to put steak knives in the dishwasher.

* I can watch "Friends" reruns every night and fall asleep with the TV on.

* I can wash my whites separately and avoid the muted gray color on everything.

I am reserving the right to add to this list as needed. I can only hope that I will come up with a few more entries.

Happy Thanksgiving!

3 comments:

Becky at lifeoutoffocus said...

jackie i still read every post here and you continue to amaze me with your strength. all these things you listed...just wow. i admire you. and you know, i think it'd be kinda nice to be able to watch whatever i want on tv WHEN i want. especially when it's Friends :)

daune abadie said...

OK...so I"m a bit late on reading your blog, life's been crazy...well in my world anyway. I saw the word STRESS on you post for turkey day and it reminded me of something I heard today:
STRESSED is really DESSERTS spelled backwards!!! It's my new focus whenever I feel it, I'm going to picture my favorite treats.....see, stress disappears (at least temp.) :)

Unknown said...

I've spent the last couple of hours reading your blog, being amazed by the prose of your 2nd grade student, the grace with which you've handled your family's battle, your humor, and enjoying your reference to places I know and love (like Oak Glen) and you are FAR more than a "glass is half full" person in my opinion. Just a former lurker's 2 cents.:)