Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Love/Hate Relationship

I have a love/hate relationship with preschool drop off. I love it when I'm NOT working, and not so much when I have to rush off to school. I do like feeling more connected to his school, but I need to acknowledge that I have been extremely spoiled the past 4 years...

*Disclaimer - I know there are single working moms out there with multiple children and full full-time jobs who complete far more than I do on a daily basis... and yet never miss a soccer practice. I am not comparing myself to those warriors. :)*

I have never had to take Tyler anywhere in the morning for "drop off". In fact, I was even able to get ready in the morning while he slept. My schedule was rarely interrupted. When I signed on to taking him twice a week, I didn't realize the learning curve would be so large. (For me, not him.) We have had some really good mornings and a few stressful ones.

The first day I woke Tyler up too late. In fact, I was literally trying to get him dressed while he was still in bed trying to squeeze a few more minutes of slumber. I'd like to say we got his teeth brushed, but I'm honestly not sure. I do know, however, that I bribed him that morning with 5 mini-marshmallows. We also stopped at Starbucks (not out of the normal), where he requested a vanilla scone (which is frosted). I was actually happy he wanted a scone since he really doesn't eat in the morning. A quick tally... he had 5 marshmallows and a frosted scone. We got to school and I went around the car to open his door and he was standing over the center console taking a huge swig of my iced, 4 shot, nonfat, white chocolate mocha. New tally... 5 marshmallows, a frosted scone, and a huge swig of espresso. Needless to say, I didn't divulge any info to his teachers and bolted out the door before they could stop me. Mother of year?? Not so much...

3 comments:

Wendy said...

My 2 year old lives on munchkins some days. You do what you gotta do!

daune abadie said...

I've been known to do M & M's hair while they are still in their beds...now that's a bad mom. I hate having to get them up so early! BTW, thanks for introducing us Abadies to those "terrible" vanilla scones. KK calls them the "Jackie scones."

Tamie said...

The morning drama is not a single mother thing, it's just another day in the life of every mom! You are not alone. I still have those mornings where I'm rushing Megan and bribing her with Starbucks hot chocolate and a donut! I'm not even concerned about Mother of the Year anymore. It's just the reality of being a working mom and having kids to get to school. Those will be the special things he remembers about you taking him to school. You are doing an amazing job!!