Friday, August 7, 2009

Happy Anniversary, Bill!

Today would have been our fifth anniversary. I can remember that day like it was yesterday. Aside from the day Tyler was born, it was the very best day of my life. I would not change one detail about our wedding.

On our third date Bill asked me what I was doing for the next 50 years. His intention (and mine) was that we would spend them together. I am still stunned that I am now on my life's journey without him. In fact, I believe my shock is thinning, and reality is setting in. I still think I am doing well in the whole grieving process... as inconsistent as it is, however. Although I can discuss Bill and cancer and our situation without tears, I find other life happenings send me into a crying spell. The past three days have been hard, and the old saying that time heals all wounds is not proving to be true lately. I know it will get better and the hurt will lessen, but I miss him terribly. At times, I feel selfish in my grief because I want him back for me, to be here with me, to comfort me... I desperately long for things to be the way the were before cancer hit our family. Trust me, I realize that is not possible, and it really doesn't help to expend my energy wishing for the impossible, but on a day like today, it can't be helped.

Tyler's preschool teacher's last day was today. I cried all day yesterday, and just thinking about it makes me well up... granted I would have easily shed tears under "normal" circumstances, but perhaps I was slightly over the top. She has been a godsend to us this year. To have her as his first teacher in a long line of educators is absolutely priceless. He LOVES school because of Mrs. N. More importantly, she loves him. As a parent, that is my number one wish, and it was fulfilled this year more than I could ever imagine. Tyler is one lucky boy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!!!..XOXOX......last paragraph seems like all the letters and notes ive written you.... i have cried several times over you... when ETHAN was done with 2 grade and when i heard you were leaving.....we love you soooooo much (as you already know this)....can i just say out loud....ETHAN HAS BEEN A LUCKY BOY...WITH YOU IN HIS LIFE!!!! that will never go away just cause moving schools done the street!!! see you when we get back... love and praying for you always!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, Tyler IS one lucky boy... For soooo many reasons. #1 being he has YOU for a Mom. This is the most difficult "stuff" life can dish out. But, he is going to be an amazing man because he has you, his father's love, a great teacher, and a strong support system behind him, guiding him through it all. You know what I'm going to say next, right? Wait... here it comes, Yes, you are amazing!

Wendy B

Jenni Halley said...

Hang in there. May you always feel Bill's love, as he gives you strength to endure each day.

Irene McGoldrick said...

Jackie-

Happy Anniversary. Tomorrow would have been Bob and my 13th and it is my 6th without him.

All these anniversaries can be hard but remain so important to remember and celebrate as the years dull the sharp pain and leave the joy and hope surrounding the occasion.

Take care of you!

Irene