Sunday, April 4, 2010

Faith

This post did not really turn out to be the "Happy Easter" post to which it was intended. Nonetheless, I hope you all have a wonderful Easter and are able to spend it with loved ones.

Faith was the topic at the Easter church service yesterday. Although it was based on the "leap of faith" idea, it got me thinking about faith in general... leaping, blind, or otherwise.

Right or wrong, I have always been a "blind faith" person. I don't need proof or to see things with my own eyes. If you would have asked a few years ago about my faith, I probably could have given you a very intelligent, well-thought out answer that summed up my beliefs in a few sentences. My faith had never been tested, so it was quite simple to decide what to believe.

Life happened. And a few months ago, if you asked me the same question regarding faith, my answer would have probably been a jumbled attempt at an explanation, because after faith is tested it's not always so easy to put your finger on your exact beliefs. However, if you asked me that same question today, I think my answer would just simply be one word. YES.

Faith requires trust and trust requires risk. The death of a loved one can make you feel robbed of that trust, which off-sets the common beliefs that lead you to faith. Having a not-so-common circumstance makes everything seem abstract, and therefore too risky. The blurriness tests your faith, but if you believe blindly, then it shouldn't matter.

4 comments:

Tamie said...

Your thoughts just flow effortlessly out onto the paper no matter what subject you are tackling. I believe you are my favorite author! It's obvious that you BELIEVE and have FAITH even if you have been unable to put it into words. BELIEVE in yourself and that you deserve to be happy and will be! Have FAITH that what is meant to be will be yours. I have really missed your blogs. Have a great break with Scott and the kids. So proud that you have told the world!!

NL said...

Well said, Tamie!

Now you can breathe strong, regular breaths. Enjoy and embrace all that life has to offer!!

Anonymous said...

Well said. I love following your blog and I am so happy for you that you have found happiness with someone very special. He is so lucky to have you.

Elizabeth Miller

Unknown said...

I love this post! I am so glad you are doing well.

Much love,

Mary Nyeholt