Thursday, January 21, 2010

Bittersweetness

I began this side of the journey counting days "after." I thought that would never go away, but it did. Then I began counting weeks and was convinced that I would do that forever, but I didn't. Now I often have to think of the date before I can calculate how many months. Getting to this point is definitely bittersweet. We are managing to live quite happily in our new normal.

I have numerous people who help to keep us afloat. I think everyone has days feeling they could sink like a stone. Some days are definitely easier to maintain buoyancy than others. I am grateful for the weightless feeling, because prior to cancer I don't think I appreciated it with my entire being, like I do now. I suppose I am thankful for cancer showing me how vital it is to rest on top of the surface instead of thrashing and treading under it. Life is far too short to spend it trying to find the surface while gasping for breath.

4 comments:

Eric Botkin said...

Jackie,

Nice to hear from you again....I also feel that I will count the weeks forever...I will let you how that goes. Of course for me the day will be forever engrained any month the 27th will be a part of me and my loss. I hope we can get together soon.

Hallie

daune abadie said...

Jac,
Thanks for the reminder to take time to float...we all need that sometimes! Our lives are filled with "tredding water" and we need to remember to enjoy what's above the water!
D

Tamie said...

Keep floating, Jackie! It's amazing to me that you already appreciate and cherish the view from the top. You continue to be an inspiration to us all.

Anonymous said...

Jackie I did not know that you knew Eric Botkin and his wife Hallie. I spoke to him in July when we were at the same baby shower and I spoke of you and the blog. When I read your latest blog I was thinking of Eric and Hallie. She received a book from teachers and aides at Chapparal High School in Temecula. She has a boy about 5 years older than Tyler. I was responding to tell you this and saw the entry. Small world.
Hope you and Tyler are well. Janet Martin, my daughter keeps me updated and I send her your blog. You are awesome and do not think twice about the fact you would like to correct anything. You wrote it so well. Your journey as well as Eric and Hallie's were similar and at the same hospital. Again I say Wow.
Carol Best