Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Current Status Update...

I am officially back to work, so summer has come to an end. I have enjoyed being back and really like my new school. Today was the "turning point" and I feel like I will actually be ready for Tuesday when the kiddos come.

This summer has been a true blessing. I am convinced that Bill waited until school was out so I wouldn't worry about missing work... yet he also planned it so I could have a summer to get things in order. He was always very thoughtful and only wanted me to be happy.

Lately, I have been struggling with finding the words to describe how I feel... Not great, but not necessarily bad, either. I couldn't describe the exact the feeling (until now), but I just checked my work e-mail and a friend sent me a message and used the term "caregiver hangover"... THAT'S IT! I have a severe caregiver hangover. It's that little sick feeling that lingers the day after a fun-filled evening. It's the slight headache that is dull, but always there. It's being able to function, but not yet feeling 100%. I have a caregiver hangover that Advil and Denny's greasy food at 2am can't cure. ;) Thanks, Paul!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a great phrase. I often struggled with an answer when people asked how I was doing. I finally settled on—okay. It seemed to express just the right amount of ying and yang—from horrible to handling everything.

I think of you daily on your journey of emergence into your new reality.

Big hugs, Ardeth

Tamie said...

I love that term...So perfectly stated and helps me completely understand where you are right now. You sure McDonald's fries and a coke wouldn't dull this pain a bit? Ha ha Much love....

Anonymous said...

Jackie you are a true fighter. If many people only had your grit, and gusto, this world would be a way different place. I am truly amazed at how you have handled this whole cancer ordeal. The way you and Tyler just keep chugging along in your "hungover" state. You are amazing in every sense of the word. We often think of you.
Hugs from us.
Lesley Pearson French Gulch