Monday, December 27, 2010

A Holiday Outlook

It's hard to believe we are nearing the end of another holiday season. As a child, you ache for Christmas and all that it entails. As you get older, it's less magical and more practical... you tend to ask for things you need. There is a plateau period as an adult (before having children) when the holidays merely exist. They don't hold the same magical value when you are a childless, unmarried adult and ask your parents for a new vacuum or a coffee pot, both major necessities. Although the value is depleted, often a glimpse of magic is seen through a niece or a nephew, slightly rekindling the spirit that accompanies the holiday season.

Having a child changes everything. Seeing the magic through a little one's eyes is truly priceless. Creating memories and traditions to orchestrate this special time is one parental job I would not trade for anything. I wish I could bottle the excitement or simply push a button to have it last forever. The holidays become a different kind of "special" when a child's excitement is involved.

We had a wonderful Christmas this year. As Tyler gets older, his enthusiasm for Christmas is contagious. He learned all the classic carols and relished in looking at Christmas lights. He wrote letters to Santa, decorated his own tree, and bought toys (albeit slightly unwillingly) for those underprivileged.

We also spent the holidays with someone else. Someone unique and special who has given me a new outlook on life and love. I am truly happy. We are truly happy together. All three of us.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Well written Jackie!! BEAUTIFUL! So great to see you the other night and soo very thankful for all God's blessings in your life!! :)

Anonymous said...

I WISH WE COULD BOTTLE IT UP TOO!!!!!!! OH HOW I HATE FOR THEM TO GET OLDER!!!!!!!!!! GOES SO FAST!!!!!! I MISS YOU AND TRUELY SO SO SO HAPPY FOR YOU AND THAT SOMEONE SPECIAL!!!!!!! HAPPY NEW YEAR AND LOVE TO YOU!!!!!! XOXOXO AUDREY

Char said...

What a blessed holiday season. Your positive spirit is contagious the way a child's is for Christmas. You are such a beautiful person Jackie and completely deserve all the happiness and good fortune in the world. I think of you often, wondering and wishing all the best for you and Tyler... and any other special people in your lives. Happy New Year!

Tamie said...

Yep, you did it, brought a tear to my eye. I have waited for the "happy" post knowing it was coming soon. I really think now is the time to start writing your book. Write it about the past year and a half of your life. You have so much to share about hope, happiness, and how to create a new normal. May 2011 be a new beginning for the three of you. You know how much I adore you. Your big sis, Tamie

Jackie said...

To the person who chose to write a very negative (and inappropriate) comment this morning... please, I beg you, e-mail me and actually get the reality of the story. You clearly have not heard the horrific tales that the person to whom you refer chose to do to my dying husband and his wonderful family. Maybe the TRUTH will help you to understand the reason of my actions. If you are only brave enough to leave anonymous comments, then I must disregard your critique and request you consider standing by your words... however harsh they may be.

Anonymous said...

Jackie, I have tried to contact you but to no avail. And yes, I apologize for not leaving my name, this is Tami, "T". I do want the "whole truth". PLEASE help me understand. . .we were, at one time I thought, a Trio. . .