Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Tyler and the One-Liner

We have medical syringes up to our ears, but things are going well with the antibiotics. He still doesn't feel great, but things are definitely better. I ended up taking another half day today for a few reasons... a) I'm exhausted and can't catch up, and b) I wanted to pick up Tyler from school, but that didn't work out, because he never made it there today. He struggled getting to sleep last night, and then woke up at 5:45 this morning, which unfortunately cramped my style as I was trying to get ready. He started his much needed two-hour nap this morning at 8:00... So, we were all a little off kilter today.

I took Tyler to his My Gym class this afternoon. We aren't actually regular attenders anymore, but once and awhile we hit a class when we can. The owners are kind enough to allow us to come and go when the moment strikes. Bottom line... Tyler has gone there since he was 9 months old and still LOVES it. Today, the class was almost over and the kids had "free time" to roam, climb, and play. Tyler was happily jumping on the trampoline and burst into tears. I thought maybe he had to go to the bathroom, or maybe there was an altercation I didn't see, but neither proved to be true. I am in no way saying he's perfect, but truthfully, that is not normal behavior for him... ever. I took him in the bathroom, calmed him down, and he took a deep breath and said, "I want to go home because I miss Daddy." And the crocodile tears started again. We went into the lobby area to put his shoes on and I tried the old, "You can't get a stamp or a cup of water, if you don't finish the class." He still wasn't interested and wanted to go home. The worst part, was that every time he stated his reasoning, his eyes welled up with tears.

I'll be honest and admit I wanted him to suck-it-up and finish the class. It's a challenge to decipher between Tyler just being three-years-old and Tyler missing his Dad being around. I could (and have) over-analyze(d) the issue and really do believe that children are FAR SMARTER than the credit they are given. I have always believed that children naturally "think outside the box" and sometimes it's the teachers who squash their creativity and abstract thinking... but I suppose that's the GATE teacher coming out... and that subject is a totally different post. I am well aware that Tyler knows something is happening and things are different in our house. The thing I am not sure about however, is his ability to comprehend the issue and then correctly utilize his assessment to his advantage... but again, I don't want to underestimate. I am not sure I will ever get an answer, but I think my Mother of the Year trophy may be resting on it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mother of the year means nothing...being a MOM is everything to Tyler...You a great one Jackie and don't over think this too much

all my love and prayers

Anonymous said...

I agree three year olds are aware of more than we know. I don't know about you, but when I was a small child, anything to do with a doctor or a needle let alone a hospital was scary to me. I think most three year olds only have to deal with this in regards to themselves, not their daddy. Perhaps Tyler is feeling a little ill-at-ease and feels better when the three of you are home together even if Dad is asleep. It doesn't have much to do with his behavior as it does with him trying to deal with the things that he is seeing and hearing and he may feel overwelmed thus the unexpected crying.

TEAM HOGAN said...

Jackie,

I am in amazement of you. To be a caretaker, mother, teacher, nurse and friend is overwhelming. Just know that everyone around you appreciates your efforts to keep a sane household while trying to hold yourself together. Its not easy.

Sending my love and support!

Anna Hogan

Anonymous said...

You are an awesome mother in addition to everything else you are and have had to be over the last year! I am sure that Tyler is feeling alot of different emotions like everyone, he is just little and does not know how to deal with them, but with a mother as good as you, I am sure that he will be able to work through that with your guidance. You are a truly amazing person and inspiration Jackie.

Love
Julie B

Anonymous said...

Hi Jackie, I am Julie, Steve Chavezs wife. I am an Rn and work in home health. Please call asap as I have a few ideas for the picc line and iv abx situation.
i would suggest calling the pharmacy that is supplying the meds to have the home health nurse to set up the ivs on a pump, usually a Curlen pump. Bill would carry it around on a strap around his neck or shoulder kind of like a fanny pack that we used to wear around our waists. that way all you would have to do is change the bags and not the tubing or worry about flushing all the time. if the picc is two lumen, two tubes available then you will only need to flush one of the lines once a day.
call me any time 909 967 0130
blessings, jules and steve and daniel